cutest blog on the block

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

don't spill the cup

Yesterday the stress of teaching was starting to get to me. Hey! I'm No super mom. I knew the reason I was feeling a little frazzled was that I cut out exercising. Pushing my body often makes my physical self feel like jell-o but my mind and heart are renewed. Its like being stuck in a cage and then finding the key. My freedom came yesterday in the form of a bike ride to the next town. Originally I had planned on throwing the kids in the car and driving to the ice cream shop about 3 miles away. Shortly after telling the kids to get in the car, I discovered it was gone. I failed to notice my husband driving off a mere 5 minutes earlier.
  Several weeks ago I had looked into biking the kids into town for Friday market. The distance was a bit long and I can only fit two in the bike trailer so I scratched it. Yesterday, being very determined aka stressed out, I remembered they are all able to ride on the bigger bike. This meant when one got tired the other could take over. CheckaROo. Surprisingly we made it there in one piece. Only the blind corner shook my resolve make it. It was a bit scary. God provided a very nice truck driver to slowly follow us so we would not be creamed by other speedy vehicles. We waved a 'thank you' and finished our trek to town in record time. The kids chose their favorite flavors and I plopped down into the bench. Too bad for me that the kids were still bursting with energy. We rode home.
  As far as not spilling the cup, well I'm the cup. I'm one of those people who 'handles' everything. Just keep pouring it into the cup. Giving away responsibility's is hard for me because I feel like if I don't do it might not get done. Yeah Yeah Yeah. It runs in the family. In order to survive this year I am letting go of things even if it makes me feel like a bad house mom who doesn't always get her job done.
  On the lighter side, Greg is probably not going to go away for a month. He has been working so much to get the time off that we are barley seeing each other. He said it just was not worth missing his family so much. I'm not sure if its set in stone or not but my cup feels a  little less full knowing I wont have to go it alone for 30 days.
 

4 comments:

Grandma Judy said...

Your story about the missing car reminds me of the time when I hopped into the car, it was parked in the alley behind the house by the lake as usual (we often would have to start it on a hill and pop the clutch, hence parking it in the alley) and tried to start it by rolling and popping the clutch. It just wouldn't start so I finally had to stop when I got to the intersection at the end of the alley. I got out, lifted the hood and found that there was no battery. Greg Sr. and his Dad had taken it out for some reason and neglected to tell me. We've laughed about that for years.

Emily said...

I've been missing our pilates in the morning. If we ever get to move back into our house maybe we can start again...you're braver than I on the back-roads. I wish there was an easier way into town on bikes.
Oh well.
Praying you're not so full!

Krista said...

I'm sad for you and Greg that he might not go, but also happy because I feel your pain when the hubby is away too much! :)

Kristen Joy Wilks said...

I am awed by your athletic and motherly accomplishments. If I could make it 3...or was it 6 miles on the bike with a trailer, I'd be down to my "grail" weight in no time. You are Awesome.